As you prepare to grow your family, it’s important that you care for your smile during pregnancy so you can have a strong and successful oral health once the nine months are completed. To help you take good care of your smile, Dr. Laurin Cardwell and our team at Cardwell Family Dentistry strongly recommend that you do the following things on a regular basis:
· Brush: Make sure you brush your teeth twice a day—every morning and every night. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste as you do so and do your best to brush for a total of two minutes each time.
· Floss: Floss your smile at least once a day to free the plaque and food particles that are stuck between your teeth. This will help prevent tooth decay and pregnancy gingivitis.
· Rinse: Rinse your mouth daily with antibacterial mouthwash to help control the plaque growth on your smile.
· Have a balanced diet: Make sure you have a balanced diet each day and you do your best to incorporate as many vegetables and fruits into your diet as possible. Also, please do your best to limit snacking throughout the day.
· Visit your dentist: It is vital that you visit your dentist every six months for a routine cleaning and checkup. These appointments will help you prevent many dental issues and they will give our team the chance to professionally clean your smile. When you come into our office, make sure you tell us that you are pregnant.
· Control the oral acid: If you suffer from morning sickness, your teeth are constantly exposed to oral acid, which is dangerous because the acid could easily erode your teeth. So, try rinsing your mouth with a teaspoon of baking soda and water to keep the acid from destroying your smile.
If you need help completing any of the mentioned tasks, please remember that you can always call 828-631-3567 and ask for assistance. Our team is here to help you achieve your smile goals and maintain your oral health, so please do not be afraid to give our office a call. We look forward to talking with you!